A great place to go exploring with your dog!
Special Interest: BikingGreat OutdoorsOutdoor PlaySightseeing
San Juan Islands is one of the islands in the San Juan County. The others are Orcas and Lopez Islands. These islands are known for whale watching, kayaking, hiking,and biking. There’s a local artist community and several lodging options suitable for families or a romantic getaway.
A great way to start your trip and see the whole San Juan County area is to go on the San Juan Islands Scenic Byway. Check out the map for a great overview of the area and suggested tourist destinations (with or without your dog).
Places to Take Your Dog:
– Roche Harbor / San Juan Sculpture Park: There’s a lot of hiking and walking options in this historic resort area. San Juan Sculpture Park is a 20-acre park with 125 unique sculptures and several trail where you can take a nice stroll with your dog.
– Port of Friday Harbor / Jackson Beach / Dog Fountain: Go shopping and around town here. Or, go to Jackson Beach. Stop by the dog fountain where you can press a button to see water filled in a bowl exactly to your dog’s height! Definitely worth checking out.
– South Beach / Cattle Point: Go to South Beach, the longest beach on San Juan. Dogs must be leashed. There’s a pebble beach and fire pits in the area. Or, head to the the southern point to see Cattle Point.
– Pelindaba Lavendar Farm: Stop by for some lavendar dog biscuits. Pets are allowed on leash outside.
– Eddie & Friends Dog Park: 2 acre dog park separated for small and large dogs.
– San Juan Vineyards: Go wine tasting! Dogs are allowed on the grounds.
– Kayaking / Whale Watching: Some outfitters allow dogs. Call in advance. Two to consider are San Juan Outfitters and Western Prince.
– There are so many more places and dog friendly restaurants in the area.
San Juan’s Visitor Bureau doesn’t have a physical office. You may contact them at firstname.lastname@example.org or (888) 468-3701 x1. You can also stop by the Chamber of Commerce for information, but call in advance before you go at (360) 378-5240.
Help a fellow dog owner! Do you have an adventure story? Contact us and we will link it to this pawtivity or event! Where did you go? What did you do? Please include any useful tips and advice that would help others!
Location: Friday Harbor, WA | San Juan County | Washington
GPS Coordinates:48.534279, -123.015728 Map
Activities: Hiking, Walking, Biking, Whale Watching
Items Needed: 6 Foot Leash, Poop Bags, Water, Paw Protection, Cooling Vest, Sun Protection, Appropriate Gear For Your Intended Activity
Safety: Follow trail restrictions and policies as posted.
Suggested Prerequisites: -
- The Best Lightweight & Compact Hiking Gear (2018) – Product Picks
- Tips For Hiking In The Rain: Staying Dry to Paw / Foot Care
- Lake Dorothy, WA
Who's Doing This?
Did you complete this pawtivity? Share your experience with others by uploading a photo. Earn points toward becoming top dog on the leaderboard.